How is VIX calculated
VIX (CBOE Volatility Index) - definition & calculation
Example of the interpretation of VIX
When the market prices fall, it can be observed that the market participants' need for hedging increases. For reasons of increasing nervousness or the intention to secure profits, options are increasingly in demand. Due to the increased demand, the option prices generally rise, which is then also reflected in a higher VIX. The opposite is the case with rising prices. Here the nervousness of investors decreases and the need for hedging decreases, which is why the option prices fall again and with them the VIX level.
This regularity can be clearly seen in a comparison between the VIX and the S&P 500. In bull markets, the S&P 500 rises, whereas the VIX is largely trading at a low level. The development of the two graphs is almost opposite. After price drops and corrections, for example in 2009, from April 23, 2010, from July 25, 2011, etc. (see chart), the VIX skyrockets. However, no clear conclusions can be drawn regarding the strength of a price slide and the corresponding reaction of the VIX. In some cases, the volatility index can also react very clearly on the basis of a trend towards lower price declines (see, for example, January 23, 2018).
Measured in terms of absolute, historical values, a VIX value of over 20 indicates a more volatile stock market environment. The uncertainties in the market and thus those of investors are comparatively great (although the uncertainty need not be justified). Values below 15, on the other hand, indicate more relaxed market phases in which prices usually develop with very little fluctuation.
- How poetic are you
- Neuroscientists study the subconscious
- How was your GATE 2019 ECE
- Why is technical math so complicated
- How strong is Luffy from now on
- Who would win Might Guy or Tsunade?
- What is the working language of Unesco
- Why is Aquaman heavier than Shazam Superman
- What is the best PLC 1
- Why do razor blades itch
- How is a transgender person made
- How are fonts licensed for embedded GUIs
- What does sanity mean
- How do I arrive at Texas Tech
- What is 4 4 4 4 32
- Why is franchising good
- What just happened in Maharashtrian politics
- Who are the best Egyptian rappers
- How do foxes adapt to the winter weather?
- How to say dentist in Dutch
- How is kratom
- When should someone not pursue an MBA?
- Why is tequila considered the healthiest alcohol
- How can I get eBay Coupons