How do you say strong in Mandarin
Finally explained: Chinese abbreviations vs. traditional characters and Mandarin vs. Cantonese
Customers often ask me: which Chinese for my translation - Mandarin or Cantonese? And what about the long characters and the short characters?
Mandarin and Cantonese refer to the languages spoken, which in turn are made up of a variety of dialects. This is how they are common:
- Mandarin is Standard or Standard Chinese, and is the official language of the People's Republic of China, Taiwan, and Singapore. 845 million people speak Mandarin as their first language - making it the language with the most native speakers in the world.
- Cantonese is a Chinese dialect. In China it is spoken in large parts of the Guangdong Province ("Canton", hence Cantonese). Cantonese is also spoken in the two special administrative areas of Hong Kong and Macau.
The dialects are very different. The people from the north (e.g. from Beijing) cannot communicate with those from Guangzhou. This is where the Chinese script comes into play.
There are two Chinese scripts. Abbreviation (“Chinese simplified”) are the simplified version of the traditionalTraditional characters ("Chinese traditional"). They were introduced after the founding of the People's Republic of China as part of a script reform.
- Both Abbreviation characters are standardized and the number of strokes is reduced. This font is in use in the People's Republic of China and Singapore.
- Traditional characters continue to apply in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau, where the reform has not been implemented.
The written language is considered to be a unifying element, since many readers can read both the short and long characters without much effort. For a translation that is perfectly tailored to the target group, you should of course always choose the right variant.
Here is a summary again:
People's Republic of China
(most of China, Beijing, Shanghai ...)
|Taiwan||People's Republic of China|
Hong Kong, Macau
At Diction we of course offer every variant and combination. Still unsure? I like to help!
- What is Computational Neuroscience
- How do I surface a brick floor again
- Can alcohol help with colds
- Can test jobs for nicotine
- How has the AirBnbs payment model evolved
- What are some hacking songs
- What are some hacking songs
- How to say relief in Japanese
- Big cats are afraid of poisonous snakes
- How helpful is python in life
- Why is gravity stronger than electromagnetic interactions
- What do you think of Singapores YouTubers
- You may be allergic to allergy medication
- Why do newspapers have such strange names
- Running improves intelligence significantly
- How many bikes does a tractor bogie have
- Is Stripe better than PayPal for freelancers
- Why do we get stomach cramps
- ATP forms during hydrolysis
- Is it there is not or there is not
- Will Verratti come to Barcelona this summer
- Why didn't Tywin Sansa marry herself?
- What is the name of the Messis child
- There is a connection between writing and speaking