How do I avoid Facebook addiction
Social media addiction: That's why Instagram & Co. are quickly addictive
After the alarm clock goes off in the morning, many people first reach for their smartphones. You check the news, the weather forecast and see what your friends are up to on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. This is repeated several times a day: at school, at the bus stop, in the evening on the couch.
The example is fictional, but it reflects the reality of many people. In 2017, young people between the ages of twelve and 17 spent an average of almost three hours a day on social media alone. This has been shown by a study by the health insurance company DAK-Gesundheit and the German Center for Addiction Issues.
Excessive scrolling through the timelines - i.e. the list of all posts from friends and other participants that you follow - can become an addiction. According to the DAK study, 2.6 percent of children and adolescents showed problematic use of social media. Figures for adults are not yet available.
Social media is not a bad thing
In themselves, Instagram, Snapchat and Co. are not bad, experts agree on this - on the contrary. "Social media also represent an opportunity," emphasizes Rainer Thomasius, head of the German Center for Child and Adolescent Addiction Issues at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf.
Puberty, for example, is about emancipating oneself from the family and trying out roles. Social media can help with this.
But there are downsides. "The main problem with social media is that they provide so many things that appeal to us," says Tobias Dienlin, media psychologist at the University of Hohenheim.
- What are the reasons for juvenile crimes
- Why do heroes need courage
- Erica Friedman speaks Japanese
- How do you think about genetic engineering
- Flight attendants can yell at children
- Is head and shoulder shampoo harmful
- Toyota Etios is good for personal use
- What are the parts of a chloroplast
- How is a loudspeaker made
- Engineering is just applied physics
- Which SIM is cheaper Airtel or Vodafone
- Who designed the Chupa Chups logo
- What are the best tools for testing usability
- What data does ensemble clustering need
- Nowadays which subject is good for learning
- What happened to the white picket fence
- Is a golden retriever safe for babies
- How can you become a better listener
- Can electric field lines be discontinuous?
- What's next for Conan O Brien
- How many buses in Delhi subway
- How do I add subtitles in Kodi
- Which receptor influences THC
- How do I install Internet Explorer 7