How did a donut become a donut?
Everyone knows them, the delicious dough rings. They are available in a wide variety of flavors. With chocolate or strawberry icing, with sprinkles or nuts and sometimes with a filling. But one thing is always the same - the hole in the middle. Where does this hole come from?
Donuts were invented by Dutch immigrants in the United States. Originally they didn't have a hole at all. At first it was balls made of sweet dough that were fried until crispy in hot oil. That is why they were also called "Olykoeks", meaning "oily biscuits". The name “donut” came about as follows: The recipes said that you should form small nuts out of the dough. In English, dough means “dough” and nut “nut”. Together they became “donut” or “donut” for short. The balls, however, had a problem - the dough never baked through in the middle, it stayed mushy.
In the 19th century, Elizabeth Gregory came up with the idea of pressing nuts into the dough. Her son was a captain at the time. His mother gave him a stash of donuts for every trip. Now it was the case that the good captain either didn't like nuts and always peeled them out of the dough, creating a hole. Or he wanted to eat and steer his ship at the same time during a storm. Then the captain unceremoniously impaled the donuts on his steering wheel. One is not entirely sure about that. In any case, this was how the curls got their shape and from then on they were always beautifully baked through.
- Who's the worst singer ever
- What is a custom domain
- When should someone not pursue an MBA?
- Are wild greens edible
- Can blockchain technology reduce bureaucracy
- Do I need SEO
- When and how often should we really eat
- How does IGT differ from other providers
- What makes quality of life
- What did not create anything
- How do i make an android library
- Is ptosis genetic
- What is esoteric programming language
- What is a Rock Crusher Gear
- How does someone save money in banks
- How does a burst strength tester work
- Who can teach leadership
- How do mutations occur in plants
- Satan causes trials and difficulties
- When will the infantry become obsolete?
- What drugs are sick cats given
- What Vikings Discovered America
- Is a zoology degree marketable
- Is it wrong to have two husbands?