What is the source of your procrastination
If your net income is below a certain limit ("total allowance") or exceeds this with less than the standard monthly rate of EUR 105 (from April 1st, 2020 EUR 130), you can request a deferment of your BAföG repayment.
Your basic tax-free allowance is currently EUR 1,225 per month and will increase:
- from 01.08.2020 to EUR 1,260 per month and
- from 08/01/2021 to EUR 1,330 per month.
This basic allowance is increased by additional allowances,
- if you are married or live in a registered civil partnership,
- currently around EUR 610
- from 01.08.2020 for EUR 630 and
- from August 1st, 2021 for EUR 665
- per child
- currently around EUR 555
- from 01.08.2020 for EUR 570 and
- from 08/01/2021 at EUR 605.
- and if the spouse, registered life partner, children do not have any income and are not entitled to funding such as BAföG or vocational training allowance themselves.
Upon separate application, the tax exemption can be increased by disability-related expenses in the amount of 1/12 of the flat-rate amount shown in the Income Tax Act if a degree of disability has been determined in the context of the disadvantage compensation. This also applies to single persons for the amount of the necessary care costs for children belonging to the household:
- for the 1st child a maximum of EUR 175 per month and
- for each additional child by a maximum of EUR 85 per month.
An exemption does not mean that you do not have to repay the loan at all, but that you have to pay back for a period of time either
- receive a deferral of payment entirely without paying monthly installments, or
- can pay reduced monthly payments.
This depends on how much your net income exceeds your total tax allowance.
- Your net income exceeds the total tax credit by less than the minimum rate of EUR 42 applicable in the exemption.
Partial exemption with reduced payment in installments:
- Your net income exceeds the total tax-free allowance by the minimum monthly rate of EUR 42 and EUR
- by less than the regular monthly rate of EUR 105 (from April 1st, 2020 EUR 130).
- Your income exceeds the total tax credit applicable to you by more than the monthly rate set for you: You remain obliged to pay the monthly rate. However, you can submit a new application at any time if your income changes.
As a rule, the exemption is granted for one year and must be applied for again in good time for a possible subsequent period. This also applies to new applications. An exemption is not automatically extended. Only monthly installments that are not yet due are included in the exemption.
The exemption can be granted retrospectively for a maximum of four months from the month of application. If the four-month retroactive effect is insufficient, the monthly installments that have already accrued can only be deferred. If costs have already been incurred, only a deferral is possible for this. You can submit the application for deferral together with the application for exemption.
If you have a low income, you can apply for a deferment of the repayment obligation of your BAföG loan.
From the start of repayment, you can apply for exemption from the repayment obligation either by post or online.
Application by post:
- Submit an informal application for exemption
- Attach all the necessary documents to your informal application and send them to the Federal Office of Administration.
- You will then receive the notification by post.
- Go to the BAföG online portal of the Federal Office of Administration and register there.
- After registration you will receive a confirmation by email. Follow the steps in the email to complete the registration.
- After the registration was successful, you can log in with your e-mail address and password and fill in and send the application form online. You can also upload the required evidence to the online portal and send it to the Federal Office of Administration together with the application.
- You will then receive the notification by post.
Note: It is advisable to use the online procedure, as this will guide you through the application process step by step.
Federal Office of Administration (BVA)
Federal Office of Administration
Eupener Strasse 125
Telephone: 0228 99 358-4500 or 0221 758-4500
Fax: 0228 99 358-4850 or 0221 758-4850
Monday to Tuesday and Thursday to Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Wednesdays from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Your income may not exceed the total tax allowance to which you are entitled by more than a monthly rate set for you in the assessment and repayment notice. Proof of income is required for this.
The allowances for spouses or life partners or children are only fully taken into account under the following conditions:
- Your spouse, partner or children do not receive any income of their own or an income that is below the tax exemption applicable to you. If your spouse, partner or children have their own income, your allowances are reduced accordingly.
- Your spouse or partner or your children are not in training that can be funded with BAföG or vocational training allowance.
- Income statement
- Current proof of income (e.g. wage or salary slips, unemployment benefit or social assistance notice, current tax assessment)
- Proof of your marital status and your children
Deferred payment through an exemption is usually granted for one year from the beginning of the application month. A retroactive exemption is granted for a maximum of four months.
Usually no processing time. The processing time depends on whether you submit the relevant documents promptly.
Forms: informal application for exemption
Online procedure possible: yes
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
- Paramedics can give insulin
- Is options trading an option?
- Who created digital banks and why
- ARE THESE PC PARTS COMPATIBLE
- How do I stay confident on the stage
- If everyone were gone, there would still be crime
- Is Ben Shapiro too prejudiced against Israel?
- What do Israelis think of Isaac Herzog?
- When was Jaycee Lee found
- Can an excema be stress-induced
- How is two-color LED made
- Is HTML a CMS
- Patrick Swayze had children
- What is a jury subpoena
- What is hashing in simple terms
- Is it professional to call someone a buddy?
- Can you still buy Girl Scout Cookies
- Why are there so few certified sommeliers?
- What is it like to be an older father
- Are you married with children
- Gimp is good for drawing
- What theme does the J Coles website use
- Why are heterogeneous cultures better than homogeneous
- What are the disadvantages of biodiversity
- What is horse foam
- Can you get men and women to use Okcupid?
- What is the attitude of Islam towards non-Muslims
- Is WWE Smackdown better than WWE RAW
- Can't we use H2 SO4
- Europeans regard non-Europeans as equals
- What does the colonization of bacteria mean
- How long does tetanus last
- What is corn ethanol used for?
- How would you link Twitter to Python