Metabolic Syndrome is a disease
What is Metabolic Syndrome?
The metabolic syndrome is a collective term for various diseases and risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. The Greek term "metabolic" means something like metabolism-related. One speaks of a syndrome when different symptoms occur at the same time (= symptom complex), each of which can have a different cause.
The following symptoms or clinical pictures usually occur together in the metabolic syndrome:
- severe overweight with mostly abdominal fat deposits (obesity)
- high blood pressure
- increased blood sugar level (impaired sugar metabolism in the form of insulin insensitivity or resistance)
- disturbed lipid metabolism
What is less well known is that the following abnormalities are often present at the same time:
- increased uric acid
- low-grade inflammation
- increased blood clotting
- endothelial dysfunction
Since the symptoms usually arise as a result of a modern lifestyle with little physical activity and overeating, one speaks of affluence diseases. Sometimes the terms Syndrome X or Reaven Syndrome are also used. Because of the increased mortality of those affected, the factors involved in the metabolic syndrome are also called "fatal quartet".
Each of the four symptoms or clinical pictures of the metabolic syndrome can damage the blood vessels and increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Since several of these vascular damaging factors occur at the same time in the metabolic syndrome, the risk of cardiovascular diseases increases again.
In Germany around 30-35% of the population suffer from a metabolic syndrome, and the trend is rising. There is also an unreported number of unrecognized cases. Men and women are equally affected. Metabolic syndrome is most common in those over the age of 60, but an increasing number of children and adolescents also suffer from the disease.
- Can an excema be stress-induced
- Help bootcamps learn data science
- Who takes defensive driving online
- Faster acceleration degrades fuel efficiency
- What are your reviews of Dabangg 3
- What is the Microsoft Policy for Interviews
- How do I grow my grocery business
- How to say Swipe in French
- How is DNA preserved in mummies?
- How do people show resistance to oppression?
- What are the applications of SCADA
- How can I change my mind?
- Will tax refunds be delayed in 2020?
- Why do I imagine childhood
- How long does misinformation stay on Wikipedia
- You open the mail in which order
- How global warming aggravates hurricanes
- Ant Man is the most powerful avenger
- Different fruits have different nutrients
- What is Copybit in Android
- Why is it so easy to love
- What do pi bindings look like
- Where is every gym of fame
- How can we achieve ecstasy through meditation?
- What is the difference between CPR and first aid
- Why does Cool Japan fail
- What nutrients are missing in acidic soil?
- Runs on my Lenovo laptop CS GO
- Can I shoot meth in my clit?
- What only infects plants
- Is air a good conductor of heat?
- The US is currently a gynocentric society
- What is the smallest injection molding machine