Can science take control of the climate?
Climate control through geoengineering? The Anthropocene at the border between science, fiction and politics - May 6th, 2020
The "geographic café" is a new form of event of the Franconian Geographical Society in cooperation with the Adult Education Center Erlangen and the Institute for Geography of the FAU, which is inspired by the "Cafés Géographiques" in France. In the pleasant atmosphere of the reading café in Erlangen, impulses from geographers from science and practice can be discussed.
Current topic (as part of the FGG lecture focus on Anthropocene-Technocene-Capitalocene):
Climate control through geoengineering? The Anthropocene at the border between science, fiction and politics
When: Wednesday, May 6th, 2020 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Where: Reading café of the Adult Education Center Erlangen, Hauptstr. 55 (Altstadtmarktpassage)
Entry: free - donations welcome
Can a parasol for the earth prevent a climate catastrophe? For several years now, scientists have been discussing whether an artificial reduction in solar radiation can make a contribution to future climate policy. Various ideas such as lightening clouds or particles in the stratosphere are in the room. The possible effects of geoengineering are currently being researched in computer models. Building on this, a controversy has begun about the social implications of technical climate changes and the legal framework for “climate engineers”. The controversy shows how blurred the boundaries between science, fiction, and politics can be. And it raises the question of how the relationship between society, technology and nature changed in the Anthropocene.
Moderation: Dr. Boris Michel
The colloquium regulations apply to this event!
Category: News, General, The Geographical Café, Franconian Geographical Society
- How are Snapchat ads served?
- How dangerous is BASE's statistical jumping
- What are some examples of digital media
- How much sodium is in beer
- How can electrotechnical symbols be described
- Is the PMP useful
- What is a standard remote surveillance drone
- What is antenatal depression
- Is Hungarian similar to the German language
- People actually cook pasta in sauce
- What the neurosciences can and cannot answer
- How did the godfather Michael die
- How do companies like Daimler AG work
- What is PrimaBlock ICO pooling
- Why are Olympus cameras so expensive
- How do I create a troubling marriage
- Do people ever fall asleep in class
- What are security ideas to protect payments
- Japan has postal codes
- What is a flag in a microprocessor
- Is the hype about Amazon's Alexa justified?
- Where can I find courage
- What are some fun facts about espionage
- Why are sambuca coffee beans so expensive