What industry does mentoring fall under?
Mentor search: How to find a mentor
- Home »
- Management »
- Mentor search: How to find a mentor
Becoming successful is hard enough. It gets more complicated when you get it completely alone want to create. There are numerous success stories - but they all have one thing in common: none of these successful types and self-made millionaires have managed it all on their own. They all had mentors, sponsors, supporters. Just: How do you find and win a mentor for your cause? The Search for mentors it's not easy, but it's not impossible either. We'll show you a few here Tipshow to get a mentor for yourself ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Mentor search: who is suitable as a mentor?
Before getting into the question of how to get a mentor, you should know exactly: who or what You actually look for and need it.
Through your training, professional experience, advanced training or visits to various networking events or trade fairs, you probably already have various professional contacts knotted. OK then! Relationships only hurt those who don't have one. But not all of these contacts are also suitable as your mentor.
Basically, something can be learned from everyone. For example, from the colleague who always stays calm in stressful phases and concentrates on the essentials, while you find it difficult to unite under pressure clear head to keep.
But a real mentor is more than just a role model.
At her Search for mentors you should therefore take a closer look at these people:
- A superior. Using your own boss as a mentor at the same time is not easy, especially in larger companies. But you can learn a lot from him. After all, he already holds the position that you might still want to achieve.
- A subject matter expert. Is there a professional or well-known expert whom you look up to or admire for what they have accomplished? This can be a specialist colleague. But also for a self-employed person or entrepreneur who is ahead of you professionally but does not compete directly with you. Quite a few of them take on the role of mentor to help younger colleagues into the saddle. Partly for free.
- A successful friend. One of your friends is professionally successful and has worked his way up to the management level? Then he may have valuable recommendations, advice and contacts for you to help you along the way.
- An industry insider. You can also benefit from extensive industry knowledge. How does the market work? Where is he developing? What are the megatrends? Some industry insiders are happy to share this knowledge - often in combination with valuable contacts and contact persons.
Mentor search: How to find the mentor of your choice
Once you have a potential mentor in mind, you will meet useful tips, help with difficult questions and valuable contacts hope you still have to win it, of course.
That is - admittedly - easier said than done. After all, mentoring is a not insignificant one Labor and time expenditure At the same time, mentors expect from their mentees if no money, then at least commitment, willingness to learn and personal development.
To get a mentor, you need to be at the Search for mentors clearly signal this openness from the outset. Mentors want at least to make a difference, to pass on knowledge and contacts. They have little or no interest in mere exchange.
So once you have identified suitable candidates and you are “ready” for a mentor yourself, then you are left with the search for a mentor three options:
The direct way
The most successful way to win a mentor for yourself is the direct one: Talk to the mentor of your choice bluntly (but of course politely and respectfully). Ask him for his opinion on certain topics and ask for feedback on your current situation. If he or she agrees, you can ask them afterwards if they could consider becoming your mentor for a while. Your counterpart cannot say more than "No". Try makes you smart.
The indirect way
If you cannot find a way to establish direct, personal contact with a potential mentor, you can search the Internet today. To do this, for example, follow the mentor of your choice on their profiles in the social networks. Establish contact there again and again by commenting on his contributions, adding to them, and asking questions. In short: seek dialogue - but without being annoying. Over time, a relationship of trust develops and you can ask them for advice. Over time, the contact slips - creeping - into the mentoring role, which you can make official at some point, motto: “You have helped me so many times now. I would consider myself extremely lucky if you would become my mentor ... "
The invisible mentor
If both ways fail, you still have option three. This sounds a bit crazy at first glance, but it can work just as well. Sometimes you can get a mentor without ever talking to that person. How it works? By knowing as much as possible about the person and their way of thinking. For example, read books or articles that your prospective mentor has written. Try to think in terms of this model. Then, when faced with a problem, ask yourself: What would my mentor say? Although this method does not lead directly to a real mentor, it does help enormously in changing perspectives and making a better decision.
What other readers have read
Nils Warkentin studied business administration at the Justus Liebig University in Giessen. On the career bible, he is devoted to topics related to studies, career entry and everyday office life.
- How does meditation help with learning
- What makes dogs hiccup
- Pomegranate juice lowers blood pressure
- Why are DC motors used in trains?
- What are some stunning photos of Sneha
- Are you a follower of Krishna?
- What is electron delocalization
- What are circular packings in mathematics
- Are Koreans related to Inuit
- How did you get into punk?
- How can I pay for domains
- What is Balli Mittai
- Can you write a short story 2
- Is Welingkars registered with WES
- How are you moving to Germany
- What happens to crips and blood
- Which country has no paper money?
- What are some serverless LAN messengers
- What is the song that you always return to
- Well worth skydiving at night
- Range Rover sports are good in the snow
- There are different forms of maturity
- Why are there so many doubles
- What exactly are you doing on Twitter