Why is streaming music bad
Resource requirements: Streaming music is bad for the climate
Physical data carriers - whether CDs, console games, books or films - are in a downturn, instead streaming is increasing. But what effects does this have on the environment? A research team has now dealt with this question for music streaming, reports Technology Review in its online edition ("The Cost of Music").
The group around the musicologist Matt Brennan from the University of Glasgow, who worked with colleagues at the University of Oslo, dealt in their study with the economic effects of modern sound carrier sales. The researchers agree that music has become significantly cheaper since it is available free of charge as a subscription.
But that's not particularly ecological. Kyle Devine, junior professor of music in the Norwegian capital, thinks that the demise of CDs and records has reduced plastic waste from the music industry. "However, from a carbon emissions perspective, the move to streaming to internet-connected devices has resulted in significantly higher emissions." He relates this assessment to the entire history of music.
The reason for this is the infrastructure required for streaming - starting with the servers of the music companies, the network operators and ending with the end customer device. Brennan & Co. have calculated that the storage and processing of digital music eats up "enormous power and energy resources". To do this, they converted the plastic production required for the production of sound carriers into climate gas units and compared them with the streaming requirements. The result: CO2 emissions are significantly higher than in earlier times - even compared to the boom phases in vinyl and CD sales.
More on this at Technology Review Online:
(bsc)Read comments (302) Go to homepage
- Is there a hierarchical model of emotions
- How was JIPMER MBBS 2017
- Alcohol was ever illegal
- What has built up your body image
- Does Hinduism have any fish gods
- What is the maximum frequency
- Might defeat Lord Voldemort Thanos
- Why don't banks pay out checks anymore?
- Are Anu Malik songs underestimated?
- What's your favorite cooking tip or advice
- Why Snapchat hangs too much on Android
- Is credit bad
- What causes transmutation overheating
- Why should you choose to be good every moment
- For which teams did Shaquille Oneal play
- What qualifies someone to give dating advice
- What is the characterization of zirconium phosphate
- What temperature is water frost
- How much is 16 GB to MB
- Which is greater than 6 or 6
- Michael Jackson loved doing head massages
- What is a software license agreement
- What is oil and gas extraction
- How is Passover matzah made by hand