Is SMITE dead now
Smite Tactics dead: servers close on PC, PS4, Xbox One - soon no longer playable
Hi-Rez is now announcing the closure of the Smite Tactics (PC, PS4, Xbox One) or “Hand of the Gods” servers. That was supposed to expand and strengthen the “Smite” brand, but the mix of X-Com and Hearthstone was never really successful. In the last 30 days, Smite Tactics had an average of 1.8 players on Steam.
What kind of game is Smite Tactics? It's not that easy to describe. After the success of the action MOBA Smite, the studio, Hi-Rez, wanted to establish more games under this brand.
"Hand of the Gods: Smite Tactics" appeared in late 2016. It's a mix of strategy and card game. With the worlds of gods from SMITE, players can create decks like in a card game. They didn't just play these cards, they put them on the playing field.
As a strategist, you can then control these figures.
Just too few players
What went wrong The game just couldn't prevail or really get known. There was no blooming phase worth mentioning, the game never took off.
Smite Tactics had a hard time finding its target audience and apparently even explaining to people what to expect in the game. Hi-Rez has done a lot to bend it again:
But it was unsuccessful. The average number of players on Steam has long been disastrous:
- At the start in September 2017, there were 800 players on average
- in December 2017 there were 67
- since February 2019 the numbers are in the single digits.
- Over the past 30 days, Smite Tactics had an average of 1.8 players on Steam.
First maintenance mode, now Hi-Rez pulls the plug
How did it end now? Hi-Rez announced a year ago that they were not planning any more “big content” for Smite Tactics.
Now the news came that the servers will close on January 1st, 2020. Each player receives 100,000 runes to enjoy the game while it is running.
After that, it will no longer be playable.
Hi-Rez somehow can't catch a trend
This is behind it: Hi-Rez had tried to do more than just SMITE for the past few years and tried to bet on the right horse with a few games:
- Paladins is a hero shooter, always went very well - but ultimately had difficulties to prevail against Overwatch and then the trend was over
- Realm Royale came in the Fortnite wave, but then went down a bit - after a very short heyday
- And Smite Tactics was supposed to be something innovative, but it didn't work either
Particularly bitter: In 2019, the MOBAs Dota 2 and League of Legends developed their tactical spin-offs, Dota Underlords and Teamfight Tactics, and were extremely successful with them.
SMITE is a free-to-play MOBA that is played from the third-person perspective, which is unusual for the genre, and which is very similar to MMOs in terms of the feel of the game. “Battleground of th ...
- What's the best use of Vantablack
- Where can I find a flag leather jacket
- Why do we accept a challenge
- How much radiation is too much
- What is Amazon Go
- What inspired Michael Dell to found Dell
- How do I register for OUTC19
- Which travel agency is best for umrah
- How do you lead your colleagues
- What exactly does half board mean?
- When do global shutters become commonplace?
- How do you prevent car theft
- Why did Jamie Zawinski leave Mozilla
- What are some high frequency trading startups
- French novels get lost in translation
- What happens to sealed court files
- How are missiles reused?
- Why do we need coffee
- Frameworks is all about OOP
- Can planets have liquid atmospheres?
- Is technology good for us or bad
- What is cosmetic surgery
- Is wrong and evil
- What are country-specific TLDs