What do you mix eggs with
Egg replacement: replace the egg in the batter
It happens again and again: I want to bake cakes or pancakes and again I have no eggs in the house. Unfortunately, the supermarket has already closed. Necessity is inventive - so I tried it without eggs and replaced them with a wide variety of ingredients.
Baking cakes without an egg
I am not a vegan, but in some recipes I simply leave out the egg or replace it. I sometimes have too many eggs given in many pastries. Six or more eggs are often used in carrot cakes. You can leave out one or two eggs and if the dough is too firm, I add a little milk or water or sometimes even cream cheese. But can you completely replace these many eggs? After all, a carrot cake or sponge cake contains a lot of eggs as a binding agent. They are designed to hold the ingredients together when baking. The lecithin in the egg yolk in particular helps ingredients like water and oil mix well. The egg white makes the cake overall firmer. It is therefore difficult to do without eggs completely with sponge cakes.
Baking powder or applesauce as an egg substitute
If eggs are not needed as a binding agent but are only supposed to make the dough more airy (e.g. with egg whites) or just give the dough more liquid, then eggs can be easily replaced and sometimes I even do without them completely. In a shortcrust pastry, for example, I don't use an egg at all. If it gets too dry, just add some milk or water. You can also make pancakes without any eggs. Simply with flour, mineral water and milk. However, these are more like crepes. If I want them to be sweet, I add vanilla sugar and sometimes baking powder. Baking soda can replace eggs. Baking soda is a mixture of baking soda and an acidulant. It is ideal for cakes with just one egg. This can easily be replaced with a teaspoon of baking soda. This will make the cake fluffy even without an egg.
For a batter with one or two eggs, I also use applesauce as a substitute. This works particularly well with muffins. You can also use half a mashed banana instead of an egg. The banana can also be tasted through. That's why I only do this with banana muffins. Applesauce has the advantage that it is more tasteless. The apple flavor is almost completely lost during baking. I replace an egg with 2-3 tablespoons of applesauce. In addition, I then take a little more baking powder.
Flaxseed or soy flour
I have also mixed flaxseed into my cake batter. However, it tastes moderately good in a batter. To leave out an egg, I mix one to two tablespoons of ground flaxseed with the same amount of water. Because of the taste, I only use it for oat biscuits or tart doughs. If you like it, you can also use soy flour as a substitute for eggs. Since soy is mainly grown in the USA and South America, is mostly genetically modified and the soy fields are also a danger for the rainforest in South America, I avoid soy. In addition, the flour leaves its very own aftertaste. However, one tablespoon of soy flour can replace an egg. However, you also have to add water.
Instead of soy flour, I prefer to use cornstarch. A tablespoon mixed with one to two tablespoons of water is suitable as a substitute for ones in cakes and pastries. Starch has the decisive advantage that it binds very well and is also tasteless. Personally, I think that's better. For vegans, egg substitute powder may also be a solution to avoid eggs. The powder works like soy flour, but has the advantage that it is more neutral in taste than soy flour. The powder usually contains lupine flour or corn starch. I would definitely prefer it to soy flour not only because of the better taste but also because of the growing conditions.
- How to act
- Where does the word actually come from?
- What were ancient Roman shields used for?
- Who is Jim Thorpe
- What do dust mites look like
- Kumite often occurs in karate schools
- How risky are gold funds in India
- Which temperature range is optimal for humans
- What is the best desktop media player
- What is a soft magnetic material
- Can we communicate with thoughts
- How do I buy Bitcoin for cash
- Which industries are at an early stage
- Why do we use Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- What are the limitations of Scilab
- Can Harry Potter still speak Parseltongue?
- Painting a rock is considered vandalism
- Abbreviations Wofuer stands for wbu
- How does the Tata Group recruit engineers
- Why do people lie in corporate life
- What is Colin's reagent
- Why does Bihar not play a Ranji Trophy
- Which coffee powder product is best
- Is there discrimination against Brazilians in Canada
- What is centrifugal force and centripital force
- How big is the market for biodegradable packaging
- How long is an advertisement effective?
- Is debt a security
- How big is the Colosseum in Rome
- What is TDM PCM
- Why did Zed Shaw join Dropbox?
- What event caused your disbelief in God?
- What is a contemporary desk
- Playing dead salamanders