Imodium increases blood pressure
Too much loperamide harms the heart
Fast and reliable help - that's what patients expect from diarrhea medication. Loperamide fulfills exactly these requirements. But an overdose of the drug causes life-threatening cardiac dysfunction.
During the holiday season, many holidaymakers buy loperamide (Imodium®) for their first-aid kit. The drug suppresses bowel movements. As a result, it acts unbeatably quickly against diarrhea. Chemically, loperamide is related to morphine. However, it lacks the euphoric effect. It is therefore available without a prescription. But: "Without a prescription does not mean harmless," emphasizes Prof. Dr. Martin Schulz, chairman of the drug commission.
Life-threatening cardiac disorder after overdose
If loperamide is abused or accidentally overdosed, it can be life-threatening, ”warns Prof. Schulz. According to the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA), ten people have died of cardiac arrest following a loperamide overdose in the past forty years. Another 31 were cared for in the intensive care unit with cardiac arrhythmias, according to the American Medicines Agency. In view of the available data, heart patients should only take the drug after consulting their doctor.
Pay attention to the correct dosage
The body breaks down higher amounts of loperamide more slowly, resulting in poisoning. That is why the correct dosage is crucial. At the beginning of treatment, patients take two capsules with 2 mg loperamide once. They swallow another capsule after each other unformed stool. It is important that you do not exceed the maximum daily amount of 6 capsules. If the symptoms do not improve after 48 hours, a doctor should be consulted.
Additional medication increases the risk
Loperamide is unsuitable for patients with inflammatory bowel diseases as well as febrile or antibiotic-related diarrhea. Some drugs increase the effects of loperamide. They include the cholesterol-lowering drug gemfibrozil, the antibiotic chlarithromycin and the antifungal drug itraconazole. Prof. Schulz therefore recommends in principle: "Anyone who takes loperamide should ask the pharmacy about possible interactions."
Alternatives for loperamide
Heart patients are best looking for an alternative to loperamide. Vaprino® and tannin-containing drugs such as Uzara® reduce the amount of fluid released into the intestine. Tannacomp® also has a disinfectant effect. In addition, like the probiotic drugs Perocur® and Perenterol®, it is suitable for the prevention of diarrheal diseases. All of the drugs mentioned have the advantage over loperamide that they do not close the stomach. As a result, the poisons, viruses or bacteria that cause disease get out of the body more quickly.
Source: Federal Association of German Pharmacists' Associations, Arznei-Telegram
AuthorsSusanne Schmid / Arznei-Telegram / Federal Association of German Pharmacists' Associations | last changed on at 16:26
- Game companies hire graphic designers
- How should Se7en really have ended
- What are some Hadoop case studies
- How can you become a better listener
- What is your favorite Harry Potter movie?
- What did it cost in 1914
- How's the nightlife in Miami
- How are Russians treated in Spain
- What are some advanced tactical radar jammers
- Should I choose medicine or biochemistry?
- Zeus is more powerful than Thor
- Why is UPSC further reducing its vacancies
- What does Sharia-compliant banking mean?
- Does Betzalel Shapiro have a girlfriend
- Lightning strikes from the ground up
- Which role model disappointed you the most?
- Intermittent fasting is a lie
- Which alarms are based on sleep patterns
- How does a halogen lamp work
- What qualifies someone to give dating advice
- Can I complete my doctorate before 30?
- Is there an Indian Hindi indie band
- Scientists lose their ability to think with age
- What happened to Harsha Bhogle
- How does string theory explain quantum mechanics
- Are you looking forward to pubg PC lite
- What is the overall price level
- Do you feel like you've been betrayed?
- How is the media regulated in India
- How do I recognize counterfeit Sony TVs
- What a coffee grinder for the French press
- People actually cook pasta in sauce
- What is a sand desert
- Is it okay to email you?