Is this paragraph written clearly and precisely?
Tips for writing an academic paper
Scientific papers follow narrow linguistic and stylistic conventions. Here are some tried and tested tips that can help you master academic writing successfully.
Write clearly and understandably
The time when scientific writing meant writing complicatedly and using a lot of foreign words is long gone. Use clear, concise language. Empty phrases and unnecessary foreign words have no place in an academic paper.
Take the reader with you on the journey
Everything that remains unclear in the text, such as terms or contexts, has to be clarified by the reader himself - and in most cases that is the supervisor. Your goal must be that the reader can easily follow your thoughts. Make sure you write in detail, but not extravagantly, make connections between the sentences and formulate transitions.
Formulate meaningful sentences
Every sentence must have a clear message. Avoid nested sentences and pay attention to the sentence length. Complicated, long sentence constructions are difficult to follow, and nested sentences often contain grammatical errors.
Use filler words carefully
Fill words that are of no use for the text should be left out. While correcting, I find time and again that almost everyone has “favorite filler words” that appear several times on almost every page and disrupt the flow of reading. Frequently occurring filler words are: so, yes, well, well known, to a certain extent, actually, there, absolutely, well, of course, ultimately, finally, already, as it were.
Avoid judgmental and vague terms
Valuing words such as logical, of course, of course, excellent do not belong in a scientific paper.
Imprecise expressions such as pretty, a little, a little more, a little should also be avoided.
Only write what is understood
Basically: It is only possible to write an understandable sentence if the content is understood 100%.
Be careful with „Man sentences“
“One” expresses something inaccurate and inaccuracy does not fit in with scientific work. Therefore, instead of using “man”, the passive voice is often used.
Paragraphs make it easier for the reader to follow your text. A whole page without a paragraph can hardly be read! Avoid paragraphs that only contain a sentence or two. In a paragraph, if possible, an entire train of thought should be presented, which, however, has a connection with the previous train of thought. The paragraphs have to be connected logically to create the central theme.
I would be delighted if these tips could make your writing easier, and I wish you every success in your work!
- How educated are sheikhs in the Gulf States
- What are the Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings
- How can I be a successful lobbyist
- Would Turkey replace the Ottoman Empire
- How is a transgender person made
- Vedas are the oldest written books
- Are beach houses ever a good investment
- What is the difference between waiting and anticipating
- What is Estonia
- Why did Nagato sacrifice himself in Naruto
- What exactly is a sneeze
- How do you break a lock
- What causes arteriovenoese malformations
- Why are circuit breakers rated in MVA
- Why did Germany abolish the death penalty?
- Can social media mess up a career
- What do low-flying birds mean
- How can I download PMI 200
- What is magnetic flux density
- Will the world actually end in October?
- Which food contains taurine for cats
- Progress is life's greatest achievement
- What is your opinion on Connor McGregor's retirement
- We live to die