UCLA is a good school

Semester abroad at the University of California in Los Angeles

  • Home
  • > University of California, Los Angeles: semester abroad


Study abroad at the University of California at Los Angeles in 2021 or 2022. Contact a representative for a quote, more information, and a PDF brochure


The "Study Abroad at UCLA Program" is aimed at international students who are currently studying in their home country and want to acquire transferable coursework.


Study abroad at UCLA is aimed at international students who are enrolled in programs at their home university and who wish to study at UCLA to earn and transfer academic credits for their programs. Studying abroad at UCLA enables qualified international students from around the world to enroll through UCLA Extension in regular UCLA and UCLA Extension courses for academic credits in the fall, winter, and spring quarters. Students are welcome to combine enrollment in the study abroad program with enrollment in UCLA summer sessions, e.g. B. Spring and Summer and / or Summer-Autumn. Students wishing to register for UCLA courses in July, August and September should register directly with UCLA Summer Sessions.

  • Enroll in full-time study at UCLA and UCLA Extension.
  • Classes take place on campus.
  • Earn Transferable University Loans.
  • Study side by side with American students.
  • Experience life at a senior US university.
  • Live in the exciting city of Los Angeles.
  • Enjoy sunny Southern California and a variety of sports and recreation options.
  • Gain international experience that will help you apply for other academic programs and jobs
  • Access to university facilities such as libraries, gym, etc.
  • Certificate of completion.
  • Applying for a student visa.
  • Students must be at least 18 years old on the first day of the course. There is no maximum age.
  • Track full-time study at your home university and have completed at least a year or two of your program.
  • Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) equal to 3.0 on a four-point scale (4). Contact us for GPA conversion tables for the rating system in your country.
  • English requirement: TOEFL iBT 91, IETLS 7

Further information on the study abroad program

When studying abroad at UCLA, you can enroll for one, two, or three quarters of UCLA day courses with American students and UCLA Extension with working and international students. To meet the requirements for international student visas, you must enroll in at least 12 UCLA and / or UCLA extensions per quarter.

Please note that admission to study abroad on the UCLA program does not mean that you have been admitted to a degree program.

UCLA courses

Enrollment in UCLA courses is limited to undergraduate courses at the College of Letters and Sciences in the following areas of study:

  • The humanities
  • Life sciences
  • Physical sciences
  • Social sciences

If you want to enroll in UCLA courses in the fall, winter, or spring, you will need to select undergraduate courses offered by the UCLA College of Letters and Sciences. The college offers a variety of courses in the humanities, life sciences, physical sciences, and social sciences. A full list of areas of study can be found at college.ucla.edu

UCLA undergraduate courses are typical American university courses taught by UCLA professors. Most of the courses are more theoretical. Students apply one year in advance in a competitive process to attend UCLA. We refer to them as enrolled students because they were accepted into UCLA programs.

As an unenrolled student, your status at UCLA differs from that of enrolled students because you have not been admitted to a UCLA undergraduate degree. Your status is that of "visiting student" and you do not have the same rights and privileges as UCLA students. For example, you cannot pre-register for UCLA courses. Your registration is not guaranteed and depends on special permission and on whether space is available.

Some courses and programs have enrollment restrictions. You cannot enroll in graduate courses or courses offered by UCLA vocational schools: Anderson School of Management, School of Law, School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of Public Affairs, School of Public Health, School of Medicine, Dentistry or Nursing, Theater, Film & Television School. Because UCLA does not have a student business school, the choice of business courses for UCLA students is limited. Despite these limitations, many overseas students can successfully enroll in UCLA courses that meet their requirements.

Registration is subject to availability. You must meet the course requirements and obtain the instructor's consent to register.

UCLA Extension

UCLA Extension offers courses in a variety of areas. UCLA recognizes UCLA Extension Credits. Subjects include:

  • Business and management
  • engineering
  • Entertainment studies
  • and many more

UCLA Extension offers a variety of courses for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students. Since only your home university can make bank transfer decisions, you will need your university's permission to sign up for some UCLA extensions. In many cases, you can sign up for UCLA Extension and pay for them before you arrive in Los Angeles.

UCLA undergraduate courses are typical American university courses taught by UCLA professors. Most of the courses are more theoretical. Students apply one year in advance in a competitive process to attend UCLA. We refer to them as enrolled students because they were accepted into UCLA programs.

Transfer credit

The decision to accept transfer funds from UCLA, UCLA Extension, or another university rests with your home institution or university to which you wish to transfer funds.

We recommend that you contact your home university advisor or study abroad advisor to understand how these credit units compare to those of universities in your country and to see if credit points are available for specific courses at UCLA are transferable or not.

Student status

Admission to study abroad does not count as admission to UCLA or a UCLA degree program. However, if you later enroll in a degree, a study abroad program at UCLA may apply for UCLA bachelor's and / or master's degrees.

Certificate and transcript

After completing their studies abroad at UCLA, students receive a UCLA Extension.

Official UCLA extensions are available at the end of each academic quarter. The certificate includes all UCLA and UCLA extensions, grades and the academic credits earned for each course.

The courses and grades from the UCLA summer session are listed on a separate official UCLA record.

Further programs for international students at the UCLA Extension

Share these programs with your friends!


Fill out the contact form to receive a quote


How much does it cost to study a semester abroad at the University of California at Los Angeles?

UCLA and UCLA Extension operated on a quarterly system with 12-week academic sessions

The autumn quarter begins at the end of September and ends in mid-December. The winter quarter begins in early January and ends in mid-March, the spring quarter begins in late March and ends in mid-June. The summer quarter begins at the end of June and ends in mid-September.

Table with dates of the study abroad program 2021-2022

quarter Events Application deadline
winter January March November 5th
spring March-June January 28th
summer June-September April 22
Falling September-December 22nd of July

Cost of the program

The exact program and tuition fees for studying abroad will depend on the type of courses you are taking. The estimated amount of program and tuition fees (excluding living expenses) for studying abroad is $ 10,395 per quarter. This estimate includes the program fee of $ 4,995, registration fee of $ 300, and an estimated $ 5,100 in tuition fees. Health insurance is included in the program fee.

The fees for a 4-unit course range from $ 600 to $ 1,600. You must be enrolled in 12 course units. Therefore, the student's actual course fees may be slightly higher or lower than our estimate depending on which courses they are attending.

Other costs to consider

  • Visa Costs: International students enrolling in a full-time program in the United States require an F-1 student visa. The costs associated with the F-1 visa include the SEVIS fee (approximately USD 350) for registering with the student exchange visitor information system and a visa fee (approximately USD 160). This is the cost set by the US government.
  • Los Angeles Accommodation: Since you live and study abroad, consider housing costs. Below you can read some of the options UCLA recommends for international students.
  • Books and Supplies: These materials are not included in your tuition fees and are a set fee across all programs and conditions.
  • Airline tickets from your country to Los Angeles, USA
Dates and costs can change. All prices are in US dollars. You may contact us for more information.

Share these programs with your friends!


The entire application process is online. Follow the instructions below

Steps to apply for a program

  • 1. Application process
  • 2. Acceptance process
  • 3. Visa processing
  • 4. Payment
  • 5. Lessons begin!

Documents must be sent touclavivecampus.com

Documents required to apply

1. Application form

Please fill out the form at the bottom of the page and a representative will send you the application form

2. Study plan

The key to the enrollment process is flexibility and a well-developed list of courses. To ensure that studying abroad at UCLA fits well with your educational goals, you need to submit a proposed curriculum that includes at least 10 specific UCLA and / or UCLA extensions. These courses must be approved for referral by your home university academic advisor prior to traveling to the UCLA program to study abroad. You may contact us for more information.

3. English requirement

TOEFL or IELTS Score: Submit an Official Internet-Based Test for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-iBT) of 91 or higher (students admitted with a TOEFL score between 91 and 99 must apply for ESL X 433 C . Enroll ESL X 433 C is a creditworthy English course designed to improve the student's ability to succeed in an academic setting.) Or an Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7 or higher; The number of points must be achieved within less than 24 months of the application date. * Students are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score if: 1) they speak English as a native speaker from Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa or the UK, 2) they explain that English is their second language and they put in provide a certificate stating that you have completed at least 4 years of teaching in a high school, university or college in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa or the United Kingdom, or 3) transferred from the American Language Center's UCLA Extension with a grade of “A-” or higher from level 107 of the Academic Intensive English Language Program.

4. University certificates

Official university transcripts in English from your current university

5. Immunization Form

Completed immunization form. Please fill out the form at the bottom of the page and a representative will send you the vaccination form

6. Copy of passport

Delete a copy of the identification page on your passport. The passport must be valid for 6 months after the first day of class.

7. Financial review

Financial certification can be a bank statement or a bank letter stating that the sponsor has more than $ 16,100 per quarter (plus dependent amounts, if applicable). The document must be dated within the last 90 days. If financial documents are NOT in the student's name, you must also submit a sponsorship letter.

The total estimated cost is a university estimate that includes tuition fees and an estimate for health insurance, room and board, books, and supplies. Air tickets are not included in this estimate.

8. Registration fee

There is a $ 300 non-refundable application fee that is paid to the UCLA Extension. After receiving confirmation from one of our agents, you will need to pay the registration fee online following the agent's instructions.

Submit your application documents

A representative must verify that all of your documents are correct.

Your application documents must be sent to

* If you are a US resident or are receiving a transfer from another US school. Please contact us for more information. The application process is different

After we have received all of your application documents and you have paid the application fee, you will be contacted by the admissions office within 2 weeks.

If you are applying for a full-time program, you will need an F-1 student visa. After you have been accepted into the program, the admissions office will provide you with the admission documents as well as the Form I-20, which is required to apply for the F-1 student visa.

Since the study abroad program is a full-time program, you will need the F-1 student visa. An F-1 visa allows you to extend your stay in the United States as long as you continue to study.

Please visit the website of the US embassy in your country for the steps to take to apply for a visa.

In general, for an F-1 student visa, students must do the following:

  • Fill out the DS-160 form
  • Make an appointment at the US embassy
  • Pay for the F-1 student visa (around $ 160).
  • Pay the I-901 SEVIS fee (about $ 350): https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.html
  • Go to the embassy on the scheduled day

You will need to confirm these steps on the US embassy website in your country. You can search for the nearest U.S. embassy here: https://www.usembassy.gov/

Next, you must pay in full any remaining fees due upon registration, which can be made by credit card, travelers check, money order, or certified check. As soon as you start the application process, you will receive more information about the data.

It is best to arrive a week before the start of the program in order to attend the orientation at the end of the registration week. You will find further information on orientation and the placement test in your letter of admission. On the first day of school you should bring your passport, F-1 student visa, I-20 and a bank statement.

Important: You have to apply before the deadline


You can participate in several activities during the program


Most of the activities are free!

International students can take part in the following activities:

  • Extracurricular activities
  • societies
  • Fitness and relaxation center
  • Events on campus

UCLA students can participate in a variety of different activities and events on campus.You can also join any of the 1,000+ clubs and student organizations. participate in after-school activities such as fitness, dance, martial arts, tennis, and swimming; and take advantage of the incredible fitness and leisure facilities for international students. These are all great ways to make new friends, meet new people, network with other students, and put your English into practice.


The most common housing options for international students in Los Angeles


Check out the housing options for international students at UCLA in Los Angeles
  • Dorms on campus
  • Off-campus dorms
  • Apartments
  • host family

Dorms on campus

Accommodation on campus is only possible during the summer quarter (June to September) .

Students can choose between dormitory or apartment accommodation. Meal plans are available. Students have access to computer labs, fitness centers, and swimming pools. After applying for an intensive English program over the summer, we will send you the information to apply for on-campus accommodation

Off-campus dorms

The off-campus or university dormitories are fully furnished and have all the necessary amenities. This type of accommodation allows you to meet other people and not live far from your classrooms. Typically, these options include all meals in their own cafeterias.

Some of the options are:

Furnished apartments offer year-round furnished accommodation. A fully equipped kitchen is available for students to use to prepare their own meals. Students may have access to parking, laundry facilities, and a pool. The students have the option of using a shared apartment or a private apartment.

Some of the options are:

Host family (living with a family)

Host families offer year-round accommodation. Students live and interact with a family in the Los Angeles area. Meal plans are available. Students have the choice between a shared or private room.

Some of the options are:

Finding a place to live depends entirely on the student.

There are many options available near UCLA. If the accommodation is off campus, students must contact the accommodation provider directly . Please note that the UCLA Extension does not manage, endorse, or issue any specific recommendations regarding the residential facilities listed in our living area. This information is provided for student assistance only. The providers listed are not the only housing options available.


Do you have any questions about learning English at UCLA?


If you cannot find the answer, please contact a representative filling out the form below

Does the University of California at Los Angeles offer scholarships to study abroad?

No, UCLA does not offer any scholarships for studying abroad.

Do I need health insurance during the semester abroad at the University of California at Los Angeles?

Health insurance is compulsory for all students with an F-1 student visa. Health insurance is included in the program fee. Therefore, you don't have to pay extra.

Do I have to buy books at UCLA?

Yes, you should consider a certain amount of money for books, which varies by class.

Can I continue at UCLA after studying abroad?

Admission to study abroad does not count as admission to UCLA or a UCLA degree program. If you want to apply for an undergraduate or graduate program at UCLA, the admissions process is different.

What are the different steps in the F-1 student visa application process to study at UCLA?

An F-1 student visa is required for all full-time programs in the United States. An F-1 visa allows you to extend your stay in the United States as long as you continue to study.

If you require an F-1 student visa, please apply once you have received your admissions documents (I-20 form) from the UCLA Extension at the University of California at Los Angeles. In some countries, it can take several weeks for a visa interview to be received by the US embassy.

You will need to confirm these steps on the US embassy website in your country. You can search for the nearest U.S. embassy here: https://www.usembassy.gov/

The answers to the frequently asked questions may change from time to time. To confirm any of these answers, we encourage you to contact a representative who will fill out the form below.


Contact one of our representatives for more information

Call us at +1 310 341 4337