How can bacteria be harmful to humans?
How does the body know which bacteria are good for it and which are not?
Dear Dr. Mo,
I read about bacteria. It said that innumerable bacteria live on and in our body! I'm worried now that this is dangerous! Bacteria make you sick, right?
Many greetings, Esther
what you have read is correct: our bodies are teeming with bacteria. Our body consists of 100 trillion cells - that is an incredibly high number. But ten times more bacteria live in and on it. But I can calm you down!
Most of the bacteria that colonize the human body are completely harmless. Many of these bacteria even work with him, such as B. those in the colon. Most of them live here too. The bacteria that live on the skin are also good for us. They produce substances that protect the body from the invasion of harmful bacteria.
By the way: Bacteria are tiny living things called Microorganisms. They only consist of a single cell. Some are round, others long, some agile, but above all: most species are still undiscovered.
However, some bacteria can actually harm people and make them sick if they enter the body. But we are well prepared: our immune system then knows what to do. And it works like this: All body cells have certain characteristics, such as surface characteristics. These are known to the immune system. Harmful bacteria that invade the body have different surface characteristics.
Now the antibodies are used. They are part of our immune system. Based on the surface features, they track down the intruders. Then they are destroyed by the phagocytes, which are also part of the immune system.
So do not worry! Most of the bacteria that are on and in your body are not dangerous - on the contrary.
Kind regards, Dr. Mon
- What current technology shouldn't exist
- How many square feet are required
- How can IOTW make blockchain more scalable
- How is the chlorine of a pool tested
- Why does glass not conduct heat
- Why do barking dogs sound so scary
- What is ecommerce omnichannel sales
- Why is a savings account so important
- What is string parsing in Java
- What is truth in Kantian philosophy
- What is appropriate etiquette for a wedding
- What is the best Mexican football team
- Why is my Maytag washing machine shaking
- What is horse foam
- 13 actually died in GoT How
- How can I learn auto programming
- How do you play pogo
- Where does the craigslist come from
- Can you recommend unusual pop music
- Is it a sin to jerk off your flesh?
- Which is an absolute must for lawyers
- What is a one-page website
- What are the cons of AWS
- Which companies are at E3
- Has the Hitler family died out?
- Which are the top 5 ham producers
- What is the cheapest 2 letter domain
- What standards are there in transcription work?
- Why is water precious
- What's the best album from The Stooges
- The iPhone 4s will receive an iOS 9 update
- What is the Proteus good for?
- Are IRCTC foods hygienic