How do you rate your effectiveness
Writing self-assessment: formulations and tips
At the end of the year or before an extensive appraisal interview, bosses like to ask for a Self-assessment to write. A dangerous balancing act: On the one hand, specialists and executives should present their performance in an objective-analytical way, on the other hand avoid too much self-praise. Formulating a convincing self-assessment is a tightrope walk between substance and self-marketing. With the right wording and the following tips, the self-assessment can be easily written and thus also offers enormous opportunities ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Self-assessment: preparation and basis for the performance appraisal
Some employees are unexpectedly asked by the boss to write a self-assessment. What at first glance looks like delegating chores and responsibilities is actually a sensible management step: Most managers are responsible for several employees and simply cannot keep an eye on all developments and performance.
A self-assessment written by the employee therefore serves them as a basis for the performance review and at the same time as a Starting point for its analysis and assessment.
For employees, self-assessment is therefore an enormous one chance For example, to ...
- your own performance to portray in the right light.
- Strengths and competencies showcase.
- Improvement options to name.
- Need for further training to justify.
- Development opportunities and perspectives to propose.
No question about it, all of these options require a certain amount of tact when formulating them. And they only work if the supervisor actively calls for self-assessment and theirs Is open to content.
Conversely: Anyone who goes into such a feedback discussion and puts their self-assessment on the table without being asked U (motto: "I've prepared something ..."), could change the atmosphere. After all, that is performance evaluation first the aegis of the boss.
You should only be asked to enter this area of jurisdiction. So you should write a self-assessment and bring it with you only when prompted. If there is no request for a self-assessment in advance, you can at most - diplomatically - inquire whether such a self-assessment is desired. Maybe your bosses don't know that either.
The decisive factor is the tone of voice and wording, and of course good ones Arguments: Make it clear that ...
- the self-assessment just an addition and the final assessment naturally rests with your supervisor.
- You with it Ease of work want to deliver.
- the suggestion of a self-assessment no doubt about it in the skills of your boss.
Tips for the employee appraisal
For many employees, employee appraisals belong to the category of necessary evils. The following in-depth articles can help with this Prepare and use the conversation optimally:
Bonus video: Feedback needs rules!
Writing Self-Assessment: Strategy and Structure
The most important principle in writing the self-assessment is:
Focus on specific projects and objective examples and avoid general statements.
Resist the temptation to find one Overall performance to judge. Nobody can understand that if examples and concrete projects are missing.
In addition, it will be more convincing if you leave the conclusion up to your reader. If he himself comes to the conclusion (based on the facts listed) that you are performing excellently, it was his idea - and the boss believes that more than your subjective balance sheet.
In self-assessment, try ...
- the most important Achievements and successes to list.
- this through concrete Examples to prove.
- the successes through measurable numbers to be relined (cost savings, increased sales, ...).
- Empty phrases and formulations like "I am a team player" to avoid. Without evidence, this is not a judgment, but an assertion.
- consistently honest to stay. Sincerely analyze what worked and what did not.
- Willingness to learn to signal. Especially where things could have gone better.
- responsibility to take over. Assigning blame, for example on colleagues or circumstances, is taboo. It was your job, and therefore your responsibility.
The last point cannot be stressed enough: refrain from blaming others for deficits or deficiencies. That flee into the Victim role makes you small and casts a bad light on yourself.
You can also use so-called Self-assessment questions use for the most important areas:
- Which projects did I support / lead?
- What problems did I solve?
- What goals did I achieve?
- Was it possible for me to improve on the previous year?
- How was I able to contribute quantitatively to the added value?
- How do I contribute to a positive working atmosphere?
- Do I communicate clearly and constructively?
- Which conflicts could I resolve (how)?
- How do I cooperate with others?
- How do I get involved?
- Which strengths should I develop further?
- What did I learn from mistakes?
- What else do I have to work on?
- What part can I contribute to my development myself?
- What would help me to further improve my performance?
In addition to the positive examples, successes and new competencies and strengths, the weaknesses Be part of the self-assessment. Anyone who actively addresses these as potential for improvement collects plus points and increases them at the same time credibility his self-assessment.
Afterwards you can also and in a moderate form suitable Support or training claim. This is not only legitimate, it also demonstrates the will to develop and growth potential.
Self-assessment: formulation and tips
With the concrete Formulation of self-assessment the keynote should always be positive and definite. On the other hand, you should avoid the conjunctive. For example, formulations like ...
- I could possibly imagine ...
- might be an option ...
The subjunctive weakens the statement and judgment and turns them into one vague guess. Why the restriction? The self-assessment is ultimately based on comprehensible facts. Stand by it!
Instead, you convey an overall positive effect and message through the Use of active I-statements.
Some employees hide behind in the self-assessment Phrases, how…
Only: who is this "man"?
Much more convinced and also more convincing do statements like:
In the three months of project XY, I was able to save _____ percent through ________________ and improve ________________ at the same time. In addition, we have succeeded in the team ...
Granted, the trick is to find one confident and active, but not arrogant or even arrogant tone hold true. If in doubt, you should have one or two friends proofread the self-assessment beforehand. They should tell you honestly how the assessment affects them. Use the feedback to identify critical points and to rearrange unfavorable formulations.
As a rule, you will have to submit the self-assessment to the boss a few days before the actual employee appraisal, so that the boss can act accordingly to prepare can.
Please be prepared for the fact that the assessment of your supervisor deviates from your self-assessment in some points. It is completely normal. The differences serve as a Discussion basis. Overall, however, you can significantly influence its result - with a perfect self-assessment even in your favor.
The justification effect
The two psychologists Ellen Langer and Robert Cialdini discovered the so-called justification effect. Apparently people react enormously to reasons or to the word "because". Even if the reasoning is flimsy, people do what was asked of them before.
You can use this effect - in doses - for your self-assessment. For example, if you are aiming for a certain advanced training course, you could reinforce it with the justification effect or a “because” and underline its necessity. For example like this:
"Training in the field of _______________ creates significant added value for our company because ..."
What other readers have read
- How can IOTW make blockchain more scalable
- How do I get an Indian accent
- Is Reiss Nelson better than Theo Walcott
- Smoking makes people study
- What courses are offered in IISERs
- Why do some people just become diabetic?
- What was the worst Beach Boys album
- Are related to black mice
- Who was the best performer at Woodstock
- What is ReverbNation
- How did Indonesians get to Canada
- What was the worst trend of 2018
- Who are the investors in Witworks
- Index CSS requires a slash
- Bollywood will soon die out
- What are stock trading strategies
- How can I improve sleep hygiene
- Why do people fear the Borg
- Why is crypto currency not saved
- What is trimetric projection
- When was left-handed guitar naturalized?
- How do you pronounce the name Laura
- How is Canadian society
- What would happen if the tide never came
- What is a Good Budget Phone on Amazon
- Why does loneliness get a bad rap?
- Brad Pitt is an over-hyped actor
- What painting jobs are there in Dallas, TX
- How do I plan my retirement
- How is facial plastic surgery performed
- How does the proof by induction work?
- The NBA Draft Lottery is rigged
- How was the number system formed