What is a college at a university
How does the American education system work?
The best universities in the world are to be found in the USA - no wonder, after all, despite the high tuition fees, these have a particularly high priority in the American education system.
The school system in the USA
In the USA, general school attendance is usually up to the age of 16 or 18, depending on the state. A three-tier school system with a grammar school, secondary school and secondary school as in Germany does not exist in the USA. Instead, children with different talents attend school together.
A child's school career in America begins with the six-year "Elementary School", which starts with kindergarten and goes through to 6th or 8th grade. In grades 7 to 9, the “Middle School” or “Junior High School” continues. The pupils then attend the “high school”, which is comparable to the German comprehensive school. American teenagers attend this school from grades 9 to 12 and 10 to 12 respectively.
Graduating from high school entitles you to attend college. In the USA, university education has a particularly high status. The USA is the nation with the highest percentage of young people attending college.
The school system is state-run, which means that everyone has the opportunity to attend school free of charge until they have completed compulsory schooling. This offer is used by 90% of the students. The remaining 10% attend one of the country's private schools.
What is the difference between college and university?
The term college or university depends in part on the individual states. A bachelor's degree or just a degree in certain areas can often be obtained at college. At the university, however, a doctorate is also possible. The college and university are thus similar to the German technical college and university.
High tuition fees for universities
There are different types of colleges: undergraduate schools, graduate schools, and professional schools. In principle, tuition fees are charged at the universities, which also far exceed the German tuition fees at state universities. However, because this branch of education has a very high status, many parents take on these high costs. Many years in advance of this, save for the education of their children. A much more extensive range of scholarships than in Germany enables socially disadvantaged and particularly good students to attend a college or university. Famous American universities include Princeton University, Harvard University, Columbia University, and Yale University.Author: Miriam Bax
Published on February 3, 2011
Tags: College, High School, School System USA
- How was Lebanon in the 1970s
- What is the secret to the success of 9GAG
- What does an army recruiter mean
- What's missing from Quora Stats
- Is Led Zeppelin popular with teenagers
- Machine learning is a PhD thing
- How can I be a successful lobbyist
- Where we can rent a car online
- What courses are offered in IISERs
- Does the fish finder work when ice fishing?
- Someone else's Netflix account just got hacked
- How do Android intents work
- The exact domain name is important for SEO
- What is tafenoquin
- What is the need to learn Shakespeare's games
- What are the benefits of consideration
- What is leppen in m20 class concrete
- How has the AirBnbs payment model evolved
- Was Mary Joseph's first wife
- Is math required in the humanities
- Why is carbocation formation a slow step
- How are cars built step by step?
- Some bacteria are colonial
- What are the best German SIM cards